Monday, July 26, 2010

My Weekend Away and a New Pattern Created

Sometimes I just have to have a change of scenery to let my mind switch gears or stay fresh. It has been a long time since we had left our house for more than a day or two and things were starting to get monotonous. And very boring! My husband kept talking about going up and visiting this camp called Camp Ascca (a camp for children with disabilities) for his Rotary Club. Truthfully, I didn't put much thought to it and resigned to going in support of my husband and visiting my sister afterwards. After getting off the interstate, the scenery along the way was like a scene from a movie. If anyone has ever watched "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton" you would get the idea. Little quaint towns that have seemed to be barely touched by modern civilization and the main attraction being the Piggly Wiggly. Old, victorian homes with weathered paint from years of being untouched,  and a small high school with the marching band outside playing their hearts out, all fifteen to twenty members. Seeing all of these sights, I couldn't help think how simple life up there must be.

As we approached the Camp's private drive ( a 3 mile road just to get to the camp), it opened up to  amazing views of multiple cabinlike buildings surrounded by water on three sides. Stunning! Not to add another movie reference intentionally, but it had the look of "Dirty Dancing" as far as views. After seeing all of the outdoor activities, we were invited as guests to eat lunch with the campers. It was amazing to see a zipline and a rock wall built for wheelchair accessibility. We were only going to stay for an hour or so for a tour, but ended up staying most of the day. We were told the day we came to visit was their Prom at camp and I was asked if I wanted to stay and help the girls get hair and makeup ready. For many of the girls, it was the only Prom they would ever see. So much of this camp continues to run because of donations and its volunteers. It was a wonderful feeling to make even the slightest difference.

If anyone is familiar with Montgomery, Alabama, my sister lives in Cloverdale Park and has this view right in front of her house. What a beautiful park and old oak tree. I think if I had this view everyday, I would never get any work done.

Finally, I created a new pattern right before leaving out of town. Here are a few color variations:

No comments:

Post a Comment